We so very appreciate your interest and encourage you to read through each detail below. At any point, please don't hesitate to reach out to us (through email or by calling 816.830.7171). We understand how crucial absolutely every detail is!
2023 ALUMNI CAMP SESSION
We're counting down the days to see you again!
July 22-23, 2023
Alumni Reunion Camp
Campers will have the option to select a Day or Overnight session. The Day Camp will run from 9:30am-8:00pm. Those staying overnight will be picked up around 3:00pm Sunday.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
We are currently serving individuals on the autism spectrum that are:
- is an alumni of Camp Encourage (has attended Camp Encourage in the past),
- at least fairly independent with self-care skills (showering, dressing, toileting),
- able to stay with or near the group (with accommodations and adaptations),
- able to tolerate the outdoors and all that nature brings (bugs, warmth, etc.),
- able to enjoy the activities on the schedule,
- successful with a 3:2 or 2:1 camper:staff ratio, and
- not presently exhibiting behavioral or functional needs that would warrant the constant support of 1:1 assistance.
Camp Encourage is delighted to offer this reunion camp for those that have attended camp in the past and are now nineteen or older. We plan to weave in a lot of familiar activities and cannot wait to spend time reuniting with each young adult camper!
At this time, we do not have slots available for peer model campers for the alumni camp; however, this may be something we add in future years.
For the alumni reunion camp, slots will be released on a first come, first served basis. Thus, act quickly as slots are very limited.
Through fundraising and grant writing efforts, we proudly offer scholarship support for this alumni reunion camp session.
Scholarship opportunities range from partial to full. When an application is submitted (to express interest in attending), a Scholarship Application is submitted as well.
An in-depth scoring process is completed and funding is offered to each family according to the score received. Limited full scholarships are available. The more each family can raise or fund, the further our scholarship funding will stretch thus reaching more deserving autistic campers.
Please do not let the cost deter you from applying. We work diligently throughout the year to make this opportunity available to a variety of campers. A large number of our past campers have received partial or full scholarship support. In fact, all families that have expressed a need for financial support through the application process in past years were offered scholarship funding.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
We understand that each alumni camper has his or her own interests, motivators, strengths, and areas for need of support and growth.
Although we provide a great deal of individualized supports, many of our activities also aim to achieve the following set of general goals:
- increasing skills of independence
- enhancing one's self-esteem
- increasing personal self-understanding and acceptance
- increasing social abilities
- widening awareness of recreation opportunities and skills of recreation
- connecting with others with similar interests, needs, and/or abilities